***to preface this, to my knowledge none of my in-laws are even aware that I blog so speak freely***
My first topic, in-laws. For the most part they suck. But why is that? Why are we pre-disposed to disliking our spouse's family? (for the record my Mom loved her mother in law). I keep waiting for the Today Show to do a story on this, psychiatrists included.
I think about some of my best friends. Take Jamie.... if she had been a guy and I married her, I would be in in-law heaven. Same goes with my friend Allison. Both her Mom and her Dad have "adopted" my family locally. My kids refer to Jam's and Allie's parents by their grandparent names. We are included in all holiday functions and just feel so blessed to be so loved by them. I talk to Jamie's Mom on the phone, and she fills in as my mother-in-law. I email with a ton of my friends parents and they are all so hands-on and loving to our family.
But lets take a minute to reflect on all those "in-laws" that fit the in-law tone. You know that tone we all use when we say in-law. It is so cliche but why can't we all just get along?
I love my father-in-law. He and I are NOTHING alike, but I have always known deep down he loves me and I know he knows I love him. I think we get on eachother's nerve's when we have to share a living space. I am a control freak and he is a bachelor but for the most part it is fine.
The mother in law is a different story. To be fair, I don't even know her story. We haven't had contact with her in the last 4 years and leading up to that separation it was very rocky. I used to wish I could just banish her to an island far, far away and never have to deal with her. I don't wish any ill-will towards her. I just think she has far greater problems then her problems with me.
Now in my own defense... I am not the only one who doesn't like their mother-in-law (don't worry gals, I'm not selling anyone out here). What is it about the MIL that makes them so hard to deal with? Is it a power struggle? Do the MIL's have a hard time letting go of the decision-making and priority rank in their son's life? What is the problem, someone please tell me!!
When that day come that (gulp) and I become a MIL, I think I will really want my son's wife to embrace me and include me in her family dynamic. key being HER family dynamic. Here it is in writing.... hold me to it!
Thoughts if anyone dares....
4 comments:
Hey there
Love the confession - wish I could do stuff like that - WAY too many family member blog readers for that to be safe for me.
What is going on with you? Why are you sidelined? Hope all is well.
Holly
hi rachel...i found your blog off of your cousin cara's blog (who i don't know, by the way - just blog stalk). i'm a mom of 2 girls and i live in plano.
the reason i'm commenting is because when i got on here tonight, i thought it was so cute that i started scrolling through and checking out your posts. let me start by saying that you family is adorable...but what caught my eye is that your son has a dairy allergy.
we found out when our youngest was 10 mo old, that she has a dairy allergy. it is a moderate allergy - we're actually waiting on the results of her annual blood work right now to find out if it has gotten better, worst, the same.
my most recent struggle has been having her start preschool because then she’s out of my control. we’re on week 2 and off to a great start, but it’s hard not to worry. the school has an epipen and benedryl on hand, but it’s still nerve wracking! her picture is also posted on the snack cabinet.
i’m sorry that this is such a rambling comment – i’m trying to keep it brief, I swear! i really just wanted to tell you about www.divvies.com. it’s an online dairy free, egg free, gluten free, nut free bakery and the stuff is GOOD! also, www.stuckonyou.biz/usa has a set of allergy free labels, bracelets, etc.
the last thing I want to say is that creating dairy free meals gets easier – often times, i just modify a recipe to make a dairy free version of what we’re eating. my daughter is so used to us telling her that she can’t have certain things that she just lets it roll off! she’s been hearing it for as long as she can remember, so it’s no big deal anymore.
once again, I’m so sorry for this L.O.N.G. comment. i hope that I haven’t given you repeat information!!! I just know how it feels, so I wanted to give you a little shout out!
feel free to come by and stalk my fam – i’ll be stalking you now, just like cara! :)
take care,
jodi leonard
Well I would have to say that my in-laws are pretty great, as in-laws go..so I don't have too much to say about that..but just wanted to say a quick hello and tell you how cute your kids are.. So so cute..you should be proud.. the party looked so great. way to go
Hi Rachel! You are so funny! I love it! I think it is a definate power struggle. Who knows?! I know I need to be better at embracing my in-laws...I too would love to see Good Morning America or Oprah do a piece on this...it is a very interesting topic! Love you!
Post a Comment